- Ride the bus if you can. That’s the biggest gas saver of all!
- Chill out! I’ve found over and over again, that driving like a bat out of hell is not only more likely to get you a ticket, get you in an accident, raise your blood pressure and stress levels, but it wastes gas, and wears out the car quicker! Driving at a constant speed can lower your gas mileage by up to 33% on the highway, which is over a $1 a gallon right now!
- I know McCain has been making fun of Obama about it, but keeping your tires at the correct pressure, can save you another 3%, or about ten cents on the gallon.
- Another 10% can be had by making sure your air filter isn’t clogged.
- Get rid of all the stuff in your car that you don’t need. You can save another 1% on your fuel for every 50lbs of excess weight you dump. No, that doesn’t mean making the mother-in-law walk.
- Don’t be idle. It’s reckoned that standing with the engine running costs over $70 billion in wasted gas in the US alone.
- On the highway use cruise control, to maintain a constant speed but on hilly terrain don’t.
- Don’t waste money on premium gas. Most cars, trucks and SUVs simply don’t need it. It won’t make your car go faster. It’s simply wasting money.
- Be sure and use the correct oil for your engine.
- As well as driving at a constant speed, try and keep your speed down. It varies from car to car, and model to model but generally speaking, gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. As a general rule, every 5 mph you go over 60 costs an extra thirty cents per gallon.
- Remember to check the gas tank cap! If you don’t close the cap correctly, you gas could be simply evaporating into thin air!
Tags: air filter, bat out of hell, blood pressure, chill out, correct oil, cruise control, excess weight, gas mileage, gas tank, hilly terrain, mccain, mileage, mother in law, obama, running costs, speed down, stress levels, suvs, tires, waste money
14 Jun 08 3BT
- The quietness of a Saturday morning at 7am. Not a sound can be heard except the fan in the laptop, and the gurgling of the coffee maker
- That it’s Saturday, and today, for once, is a chill out day.
- Looking forward to meeting some online friends downtown today for the first time, and perhaps even take in a ball game.
Tags: ball game, chill out, coffee maker, laptop, quietness, saturday morning, three beautiful things, Three Beautiful Things