In most urban areas, parks and rural areas are quite precious, particularly to the local inhabitants. Cranford Park, with St. Dunstan’s Church, is one of those places, situated with the M4 motorway to its immediate north, and Heathrow Airport barely a mile to the south.
Cranford is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086, produced under the orders of William the Conqueror.
The Berkeley family owned Cranford Manor Estate for some 300 years, from 1618 until 1918, when the estate was sold to Middlesex County Council.
In 1945 the Manor House was demolished. It hadn’t been bombed in World War II, but a number of nearby bombs aimed at Heston Aerodrome had left it in a weakened condition.
The present park was opened as a Public Open Space in 1949.